Investing in eyewear to improve your vision is important to ensure that you can function at your best and address problems with vision clarity. Because prescription eyeglasses can be expensive, it is vital that patients take good care of their eyewear to ensure they last as long as possible. At the Eye Care Institute, we educate patients on ways to care for their new eyeglasses to keep them from breaking, becoming scratched, or leaving patients without corrective lenses.
Tips for taking care of eyeglasses
Our professionals make the following recommendations for patients who are interested in learning more about how to care for their new eyewear:
- Rinse the lenses of the glasses with water before cleaning them.
- Use an eyeglass cleaner or wipe recommended by the ophthalmologist at Eye Care Institute.
- Avoid using napkins, paper towels, and tissues to clean your glasses, as they can scratch the lenses.
- Lenses can be cleaned regularly with a small drop of dish detergent, warm water, and a soft microfiber cloth.
- Let your glasses air dry after cleaning them to remove any moisture.
- Store your glasses in a hard protective case when you are not wearing them, particularly at night when you are sleeping.
- Do not leave glasses in places where they can become broken, such as the floor, or on tables within reach of children.
- Visit your eye doctor if your eyeglasses need to be adjusted, or if your prescription is no longer working for you.
- Contact your eye doctor if your lens has popped out of your frame. Attempting to replace it on your own can cause further damage to your eyeglass frames which can be reused for later prescription changes.
Learn more about eye health and wellness with the Eye Care Institute
At the Eye Care Institute, we encourage patients to ask us about ways to take care of their vision, including care for their contacts and eyeglasses. If you want to help improve the longevity of your eyewear, speak to an ophthalmologist about your needs. Our practice has three convenient office locations and can be reached at our main number for an appointment: (707) 546-9800.